Monday, October 4, 2010

Lunch in the Canyon on an Arizona River Runners Rafting Trip!

I'm pretty easy to please in the food/eating department. A real appealing part of this is that somebody else prepares my meal AND cleans up afterwards. That is certainly the case on an Arizona rafting vacation with Arizona River Runners. Don't get me wrong.....the food on ARR rafting trips gets high marks in the culinary realm on it's own. The fact that I enjoy great meals with very little effort on my part is a bonus.

I've tried to duplicate some of the wonderful cuisine that I enjoyed in camps along the way and the one that is clearly a standout is Mexican Train Wreck. It is a salad that is served at lunch in a pita pocket. I've served it many times without the beauty of the Grand Canyon as a backdrop and everybody still loves it.

Here's the recipe I go by:

MEXICAN TRAIN WRECK

Serves a big bunch

3-4 c. chicken, canned or grilled, cut into bite size

1 c. tomato, diced

1/2 c. onion, diced

1 14 oz. can black olives, chopped

1 14 oz. can beans (black, pinto or kidney), drained

1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

1 c. salsa

1/2 c. avocado chunks or guacamole

1/2 c. sour cream

1/2 head of lettuce, chopped or shredded

2 c. tortilla chips, crumbled slightly

Mix all together. Serve with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese and chips.

Spoon into pita pocket or serve over a bed of shredded lettuce.

This recipe is quite flexible and can be tweaked to your liking. I often leave out the crumbled chips and the shredded lettuce so that leftovers can be enjoyed the next day or frozen.

For your Grand Canyon rafting vacation and fabulous meals, call Arizona River Runners at 1-800-477-7238!